Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
UA Drug Roundup
Wed February 20, 2013
UA Students Could Face Expulsion After Drug Sweep
University of Alabama authorities say the students arrested as part of a massive drug sweep centered around the school will be referred to its judicial affairs process.
University spokeswoman Cathy Andreen said that after the judicial reviews are completed, students will receive sanctions up to and including expulsion.
The students also face criminal charges. Authorities say the drug sweep resulted in the arrest of about 100 people.
The West Alabama Narcotics Task Force began a series of busts early Tuesday. Authorities say more than two dozen students were arrested on the Alabama campus, many of them in residence halls.
Officials say 99 people were arrested in all, with charges including sale or possession of marijuana.
Authorities also confiscated small amounts of cocaine, LSD, ecstasy and prescription medications.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.