Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
UA Drug Roundup
Wed February 20, 2013
UA Students Could Face Expulsion After Drug Sweep
University of Alabama authorities say the students arrested as part of a massive drug sweep centered around the school will be referred to its judicial affairs process.
University spokeswoman Cathy Andreen said that after the judicial reviews are completed, students will receive sanctions up to and including expulsion.
The students also face criminal charges. Authorities say the drug sweep resulted in the arrest of about 100 people.
The West Alabama Narcotics Task Force began a series of busts early Tuesday. Authorities say more than two dozen students were arrested on the Alabama campus, many of them in residence halls.
Officials say 99 people were arrested in all, with charges including sale or possession of marijuana.
Authorities also confiscated small amounts of cocaine, LSD, ecstasy and prescription medications.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.