Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Selma Auto Workers Lawsuit, Strange Wants Lethal Injection Drug, Mobile Bay Earth Day
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
Tue February 19, 2013
UA Students Arrested In West Ala. Drug Sweep
Authorities say a drug sweep centered around the University of Alabama campus has resulted in the arrest of about 100 people, many of them students.
The West Alabama Narcotics Task Force began a series of busts early Tuesday. Authorities say more than two dozen students were arrested on the Alabama campus, many of them in residence halls.
Officials say 99 people were arrested in all, with charges including sale or possession of marijuana. Authorities also confiscated small amounts of cocaine, LSD, ecstasy and prescription medications.
Officials say the drug sweep is the result of an investigation that last two months. Jail records show many of those arrested are between 18 and 20 years old and either live on or adjacent to campus.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.