Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu October 18, 2012
UA Stops Fraternity Pledging Due To Hazing Reports
The University of Alabama has ended all pledging activities by fraternities amid allegations of hazing at some fraternities. UA Vice President for Student Affairs Mark Nelson said pledging activities were ended as of 1 p.m. Thursday because of reports that have been received on a hazing hotline. Nelson said in a statement that UA has issued interim suspensions to one former member and two active members of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity for engaging in hazing at an off-campus location. As a result of the investigation, Nelson said Delta Tau Delta fraternity has suspended all pledge programs and social activities indefinitely. Nelson said university officials plan to conduct an investigation of campus fraternities. The university has cleared six fraternities of hazing allegations. Nelson said the university will not tolerate hazing. Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.