Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri July 26, 2013
UA Establishes Adapted Golf Program
The University of Alabama says its establishing the nation's first collegiate adapted golf program.
The university's adapted athletics program is already home to the national championship men's and women's wheelchair basketball teams. Head Coach Ford Burttram says feedback from athletes and student veterans encouraged the creation of the program.
The team is expected to compete in upcoming Amputee Golf Association events.
Burttram says he's still working on getting the right equipment. He has sawed down standard golf clubs so he could hit at a lower angle and is working with Southern Golf Warehouse in Birmingham to get custom-made clubs.
He's also working with wheelchair designer Eagle Sports Chairs to design a chair with better range of movement for players.
Arts & Life