Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri May 21, 2004
Two More Guard Units Return
By Alabama Public Radio
Fort Benning, GA – Two Alabama Army National Guard units will be back in Alabama soon.
The 11-51st Engineer unit from Fort McClellan is scheduled to arrive at Fort Benning, Georgia this morning. Four soldiers in the 11-51st received minor injuries when the unit was attacked in an ambush on May first. The 214th Military Police Company from Alexander City and Tuskegee is also scheduled to arrive at Fort Benning this weekend. The 214th was charged with protecting the battlefield, controlling crowds and traffic, and dealing with prisoners of war. That unit also helped operate a police training academy for some Iraqi citizens.
Meanwhile, the 11-65th Military Police Company is among 41 units who will remain on duty for an additional 90 to 120 days.