Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Business & Education
Thu June 27, 2013
Tuscaloosa Reviews Student Housing Market
A task force will study student rental housing in the city of Tuscaloosa.
The city is home to not just the University of Alabama but also Shelton State Community College and Stillman College. Some are concerned it's becoming overly saturated with student rentals.
A task force created by Mayor Walt Maddox will assess the city's student rental market. Maddox says the city needs comprehensive data to get an accurate picture of what's going on.
The panel will consist of 16 to 20 people. It will determine if too many rental units are located in Tuscaloosa and whether the city needs to take some sort of action to address housing needs.
A report is due by Nov. 5.