Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon September 10, 2012
Tuscaloosa Real Estate Developer Plans No Vote Campaign For Sept. 18
Politically active real estate developer Stan Pate of Tuscaloosa says he's planning a media campaign in the next few days to encourage no votes on Alabama's referendum Sept. 18. Pate says Alabama residents elected a Republican governor and Republican-controlled Legislature in 2010 because they wanted less government. He said GOP leaders are doing the opposite by pushing a constitutional amendment that would take $437 million out of a state trust fund to prop up the state General Fund budget for the next three years. Gov. Robert Bentley said his administration has streamlined government, but the constitutional amendment would help the state get through the most difficult economic period in many years. Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
September Budget Referendum