Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Thu September 13, 2012
Tuscaloosa President Chosen Alabama Chancellor
The State Board of Education has chosen the president of Shelton State Community College to be the chancellor of Alabama's two-year college system.
The board voted unanimously Thursday to select Mark Heinrich of Tuscaloosa over Blake Flanders, who is vice president of workforce development for the Kansas Board of Regents. Board members said they were swayed by the way Heinrich got Shelton State back on sound ground after corruption problems in some of Alabama's two-year colleges.
Board members also said Heinrich would provide continuity to a system that has seen frequent turnovers in leadership in the last six years. The board will approve the terms of Heinrich's contract later.
Heinrich will replace Freida Hill, who stepped down in March under pressure from some board members.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.