Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue September 14, 2004
Tuscaloosa opens storm shelter
Tuscaloosa – In cooperation with the Red Cross and the Emergency Management Authority, The Tuscaloosa County Park & Recreation Authority is preparing its activity centers to serve as emergency shelters for Alabamians seeking refuge from hurricane Ivan.
The Jerry Belk Activity Center was activated today as the primary emergency evacuation center. The Belk Center is located at 2101 Bowers Park Drive, off McFarland Boulevard just north of Interstate 20. For more information about the shelter services, contact the American Red Cross at 205-758-3608 or the EMA at 205-349-0150. Stillman College is also a designated emergency evacuation center.
All PARA programs for Thursday, September 16 are cancelled due to the anticipated inclement weather. Activities at the Belk Center are cancelled until emergency shelter services are no longer needed. Program cancellations for Friday and Saturday September 17 and 18 will be determined daily based on weather conditions and emergency evacuation service needs.