Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Mon October 8, 2012
Tuscaloosa Mulling Ban on Some Businesses
The city of Tuscaloosa is considering a temporary ban on some kind of businesses as it rebuilds from last year's tornado.
The City Council on Tuesday will continue a discussion of a proposed moratorium that could affect businesses including pawn shops, check-cashing stores, tattoo shops and tobacco stores.
Councilman Kip Tyner is supporting the ban. He says he wants to rebuild tornado-ravaged parts of the city with better businesses than existed before the twister in 2011.
The Tuscaloosa News (http://bit.ly/Q6yQ5d ) reports the neighboring city of Northport already has enacted a similar moratorium.
Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox says staff members aren't clear on exactly what type of ban the council wants to review.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.