Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Politics & Government
Mon October 8, 2012
Tuscaloosa Mulling Ban on Some Businesses
The city of Tuscaloosa is considering a temporary ban on some kind of businesses as it rebuilds from last year's tornado.
The City Council on Tuesday will continue a discussion of a proposed moratorium that could affect businesses including pawn shops, check-cashing stores, tattoo shops and tobacco stores.
Councilman Kip Tyner is supporting the ban. He says he wants to rebuild tornado-ravaged parts of the city with better businesses than existed before the twister in 2011.
The Tuscaloosa News (http://bit.ly/Q6yQ5d ) reports the neighboring city of Northport already has enacted a similar moratorium.
Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox says staff members aren't clear on exactly what type of ban the council wants to review.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.