Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Mon May 19, 2014
Tuscaloosa May Tweak Rules Over Tornado Recovery
Local officials in Tuscaloosa are considering changes to local ordinances that govern rebuilding of commercial areas after the devastating tornadoes of April 2011.
The Tuscaloosa News reports Mayor Walt Maddox planned to present amendments to the city code Monday night to the Planning and Zoning Commission. One of the changes being pushed by the mayor would require businesses to hide larger trash bins from public view. Others proposals deal with design details for commercial buildings in the tornado recovery zone.
Maddox says when the city began its tornado recovery planning, officials knew adjustments would need to be made at some point.
If the zoning commission recommends adoption of the mayor's proposals, those changes would go to the city for consideration Tuesday. A final vote wouldn't come until June.
Tuscaloosa Recovery Funding
Tuscaloosa Tornado Recovery