Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Fri May 21, 2004
Tuscaloosa County Using Old Voting Lines
By Alabama Public Radio
Tuscaloosa, AL – Voters in the June 1st primary for the Tuscaloosa County Commission will cast ballots using the county's 1994 voting lines.
This after, the US Justice Department failed to confirm the new redistricting plan ... a plan that must be redrawn every 10 years to ensure minority voting rights. County voting officials say they haven't gotten any official approval of the new plan, so they will operate the election under the 1994 lines. That could present problems if someone decides to challenge the election results since the 1994 districts have a different population make-up.
Failure to get the redistricting plan approved has also stirred concerns that overseas military personnel won't get their absentee ballots in time to cast them.