Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue April 13, 2004
Tuesday Votes May Determine Budget
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The condition of Alabama's General Fund budget may be more clear after Tuesday. John Knight, chairman of the House General Fund budget committee, says Tuesday's House votes will determine whether the budget contains dramatic cuts. He says he hopes lawmakers will approve bills that would increase taxes on nursing home beds and cigarettes. Knight also supports raising fees for several types of court cases. But, he says House members have shown strong opposition to any kind of revenue-raising measure. Knight's committee plans to begin working on the state General Fund budget Wednesday.