Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Holiday Traffic Accidents
Wed July 11, 2012
Troopers: 9 died on roads during holiday period
Alabama State Troopers say they investigated 386 traffic accidents resulting in 161 injuries and nine deaths during the Fourth of July holiday period.
The Alabama Department of Public Safety reported the numbers for the 120-hour Fourth of July holiday period from July 4 to July 8.
Officials say that because the same holiday in 2011 fell on a Monday and meant a long weekend for many travelers, it's difficult to compare those numbers with 2011 totals.
However, between June 30 and July 4, 2011 -- which is a similar five-day period that includes the Fourth and a weekend -- troopers investigated 438 crashes, resulting in 207 injuries and 11 deaths.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)