Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Holiday Traffic Accidents
Wed July 11, 2012
Troopers: 9 died on roads during holiday period
Alabama State Troopers say they investigated 386 traffic accidents resulting in 161 injuries and nine deaths during the Fourth of July holiday period.
The Alabama Department of Public Safety reported the numbers for the 120-hour Fourth of July holiday period from July 4 to July 8.
Officials say that because the same holiday in 2011 fell on a Monday and meant a long weekend for many travelers, it's difficult to compare those numbers with 2011 totals.
However, between June 30 and July 4, 2011 -- which is a similar five-day period that includes the Fourth and a weekend -- troopers investigated 438 crashes, resulting in 207 injuries and 11 deaths.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)