Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Holiday Traffic Accidents
Wed July 11, 2012
Troopers: 9 died on roads during holiday period
Alabama State Troopers say they investigated 386 traffic accidents resulting in 161 injuries and nine deaths during the Fourth of July holiday period.
The Alabama Department of Public Safety reported the numbers for the 120-hour Fourth of July holiday period from July 4 to July 8.
Officials say that because the same holiday in 2011 fell on a Monday and meant a long weekend for many travelers, it's difficult to compare those numbers with 2011 totals.
However, between June 30 and July 4, 2011 -- which is a similar five-day period that includes the Fourth and a weekend -- troopers investigated 438 crashes, resulting in 207 injuries and 11 deaths.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)