Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Arts & Life
Thu May 8, 2014
Tallapoosa River Added to Alabama River Trail
The Alabama Scenic River Trail has added 200 miles of waterway.
The executive director of the Alabama Scenic River Trail, Jim Felder, says the new segment is the Alabama portion of the Tallapoosa River. He says the new segment includes 13 primitive campsites donated by Alabama Power and four portages allowing people to walk canoes or kayaks around the four Alabama Power dams on the river.
An experienced paddler, 66-year-old Harold Banks of Dadeville, says the Tallapoosa River offers views of bald eagles, deer, turkey and otters in abundance.