Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Arts & Life
Thu May 8, 2014
Tallapoosa River Added to Alabama River Trail
The Alabama Scenic River Trail has added 200 miles of waterway.
The executive director of the Alabama Scenic River Trail, Jim Felder, says the new segment is the Alabama portion of the Tallapoosa River. He says the new segment includes 13 primitive campsites donated by Alabama Power and four portages allowing people to walk canoes or kayaks around the four Alabama Power dams on the river.
An experienced paddler, 66-year-old Harold Banks of Dadeville, says the Tallapoosa River offers views of bald eagles, deer, turkey and otters in abundance.