Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Arts & Life
Thu May 8, 2014
Tallapoosa River Added to Alabama River Trail
The Alabama Scenic River Trail has added 200 miles of waterway.
The executive director of the Alabama Scenic River Trail, Jim Felder, says the new segment is the Alabama portion of the Tallapoosa River. He says the new segment includes 13 primitive campsites donated by Alabama Power and four portages allowing people to walk canoes or kayaks around the four Alabama Power dams on the river.
An experienced paddler, 66-year-old Harold Banks of Dadeville, says the Tallapoosa River offers views of bald eagles, deer, turkey and otters in abundance.