Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Arts & Life
Thu May 8, 2014
Tallapoosa River Added to Alabama River Trail
The Alabama Scenic River Trail has added 200 miles of waterway.
The executive director of the Alabama Scenic River Trail, Jim Felder, says the new segment is the Alabama portion of the Tallapoosa River. He says the new segment includes 13 primitive campsites donated by Alabama Power and four portages allowing people to walk canoes or kayaks around the four Alabama Power dams on the river.
An experienced paddler, 66-year-old Harold Banks of Dadeville, says the Tallapoosa River offers views of bald eagles, deer, turkey and otters in abundance.