A section of the downtown Montgomery office building that houses the Alabama Attorney General's office was evacuated and the adjacent street closed after an employee opening an envelope found a suspicious white powder.
Capt. Mark Williams of the Montgomery Fire and Rescue Department said there were no injuries reported Wednesday morning. Williams said U.S. Postal Service inspectors conducted a preliminary inspection of the powder and determined it was non-toxic.
Eight people who were near the powder when it was discovered were kept inside the building until it was determined they had not been contaminated. As a precaution those workers were washed down in a decontamination tent outside the building.
Williams said those evacuated would not be allowed inside until a more complete test was conducted Wednesday afternoon.