Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed November 5, 2003
Sunday Alcohol Sales Pass in Baldwin County
By Alabama Public Radio
Bay Minette, AL – Beer and wine can now be sold in most areas of Baldwin County on Sundays. Most county voters approved a measure Tuesday allowing the sales. The town of Loxley did not approve the measure, and Baldwin County Commission District Two, which includes Rabun, Stockton and Tensaw, also is keeping the ban on Sunday sales. Liquor sales were not included in the vote. Six county commissioners and officials in 11 municipalities now are preparing to set a date for sales to begin. They also must determine the hours for alcohol purchases. Area business interests say the change will help retailers recover customers who go to Flordida to purchase beer and wine. The president of the Alabama Gulf Coast Area Chamber of Commerce says Sunday alcohol sales also will give Baldwin County and its cities a tax revenue boost.