Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Business & Education
Sat May 17, 2014
Summer Lunch Program for Kids Resumes
Alabama officials will soon resume a free summer lunch program for students.
The state Department of Education offers free meals to children while school is out to make sure low-income children don't go hungry.
The Dothan Eagle reports that roughly 137,000 children participated in the program last year. The goal is to serve more than 500,000 children who already receive free or reduced-price lunches at schools.
Authorities said the state is trying to improve participation in rural areas.
More information can be found here.