Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Healthiest Alabama County
Thu March 21, 2013
Study Ranks Shelby as Alabama's Healthiest County
Shelby County is ranked number one in a new study of the health and quality of life in each of Alabama's the 67 counties.
The analysis was released Wednesday by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute.
It examined 25 factors that influence health, including childhood poverty, numbers of smokers, obesity levels, teen birth rates and access to physicians and dentists.
Rounding out the top five healthiest counties are Baldwin, Lee, Madison and Limestone. The least healthy counties are Perry, Hale, Walker and Lowndes, which finished last. Montgomery County came in 21st, Jefferson County finished 27th and Mobile County ranked 39th.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.