Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed August 11, 2004
Strike Looms for Tire Workers
By Alabama Public Radio
Tuscaloosa, AL – Workers at two B-F Goodrich Tire plants faced a midnight deadline Wednesday to agree on a new contract. If it doesn't happen, more than 25 hundred workers could strike. More than 13-hundred workers are at the tire-maker's Opelika plant and about 12-hundred work at a Tuscaloosa facility. A representative with the United Steel Workers of America says the union wants promises that manufacturing jobs at the Opelika factory will not be sent overseas. Other issues include health benefits and wages.