Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Arts & Life
Wed December 25, 2013
Storm in Montgomery breaks rainfall record
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Forecasters say heavy rain over the weekend helped eclipse Montgomery's previous rainfall record. The Montgomery Advertiser reports the National Weather Service recorded 5 ½ inches of rain between Sunday and Monday at Dannelly Field. The previous record set on Dec. 22, 1920 was 3.42 inches. Meteorologist Holly Allen says the amount of rain that pelted Montgomery between Sunday and Monday was more than the city averaged for the entire month of December between 1981 and 2010.