Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Alabama Farmers-2012 Crops
Thu January 23, 2014
Stats Show 2012 Was Mixed For Alabama Farmers
Alabama farmers experienced a mixed bag of results in 2012.
The Alabama Farmers Federation says federal statistics show the state's corn production increased by 51 percent in 2013, with farmers harvesting an average of 148 bushels an acre.
Soybean production increased 21 percent, and Alabama growers harvesting nearly 100,000 more acres than 2012.
Things weren't as good for cotton and peanut crops, however.
Cotton yields dropped 26 percent while peanut yields declined 44 percent.
The Farmers Federation says peanut production was down after a record year in 2012, partly because some peanut fields were washed out by heavy rains in southeast Alabama.