Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Alabama psychiatric hospital
Tue September 3, 2013
State's New Psychiatric Hospital Opens in December
Alabama's new psychiatric hospital is expected to open in December.
Al.com reports (http://bit.ly/19c9nzR) that the new facility will replace the old Bryce Hospital, and will also be located in Tuscaloosa like the original Bryce.
Officials say the new hospital will feature an area designers call a "recovery mall" that includes a chapel, library and canteen. The idea is to allow patients to experience everyday activities in a facility that doesn't feel like a hospital.
David Jackson, chief operating officer of the Alabama Department of Mental Health, said the $75 million cost for the facility includes a computer upgrade and move to electronic health records.