Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Alabama psychiatric hospital
Tue September 3, 2013
State's New Psychiatric Hospital Opens in December
Alabama's new psychiatric hospital is expected to open in December.
Al.com reports (http://bit.ly/19c9nzR) that the new facility will replace the old Bryce Hospital, and will also be located in Tuscaloosa like the original Bryce.
Officials say the new hospital will feature an area designers call a "recovery mall" that includes a chapel, library and canteen. The idea is to allow patients to experience everyday activities in a facility that doesn't feel like a hospital.
David Jackson, chief operating officer of the Alabama Department of Mental Health, said the $75 million cost for the facility includes a computer upgrade and move to electronic health records.