Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon July 26, 2004
State Will Widen East Ala. Highway
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The state will spend 75 million dollars to widen U-S Highway 431 between Seale and Eufaula. The stretch of road in east Alabama was recently considered one of America's five most dangerous highways, according to Readers Digest. State transportation director Joe McInnes says the road narrows from four to two lanes in Russell County, but motorists usually don't slow down. There have been 28 deaths on the 16-mile stretch during the past decade. Thirteen of them have occurred during the past four years.