Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon November 29, 2004
State Thoroughfares Busy This Holiday Weekend
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Officials say Alabama's airports and highways were busy this holiday weekend as Thanksgiving travelers returned home. And there were fewer than expected traffic fatalities on ALabama roads during the long weekend. State troopers report that five people died in roadway accidents over the 102-hour travel period. That started last Wednesday at 6 p.m. and ended at midnight Sunday. The Department of Public Safety had estimated that 17 people would be killed in traffic crashes. People were killed in accidents in Escambia, Pike, Colbert, DeKalb and Walker Counties.