Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Thu May 27, 2004
State Tax Refunds Are On Time
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery. AL – For the first time in years, Alabama taxpayers can expect to get their tax refund checks on time. So far, revenue officials have paid about 295 million dollars worth of refunds to more than 945-thousand taxpayers. The timely payments were made largely possible by 75 million dollars in funding from the federal government. This allowed the state to pay refunds and keep the education budget balanced. The Alabama Department of Revenue processed 187-thousand returns this year, and plans to issue 460 million dollars in tax refunds.