Most Active Stories
- Medicaid Expansion in Alabama: The Battle of the Five Armies
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- Obama visits Birmingham, Medicaid expansion, tuberculosis testing at Homewood High School
- Obama to speak in Birmingham, Medicaid expansion opposition and Alabama bike summit
- Obama to visit Birmingham, Charter Schools bill passed, Aerofest
Alabama Supreme Court
Tue December 16, 2003
State Supreme Court Steps Aside
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Alabama's associate Supreme Court justices yesterday stepped down from hearing an appeal from Roy Moore, who is seeking reinstatement as state Chief Justice.
Moore was dismissed from office for defying a federal court order to remove his Ten Commandments monument from public view in the state judicial building. His appeal of that dismissal will now be heard by a group of randomly selected retired judges and attorneys. Alabama's associate justices met yesterday and drew names of qualified people who could hear the case. Seven retired judges and a list of 13 alternates were selected.
Acting chief justice Gorman Houston called the proceeding "absolutely historic" and "a tragedy".