Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Sun October 27, 2013
State Seeks Director For Alabama Bicentennial
Alabama's 200th birthday is coming up, and the state is looking for someone to be in charge of the party.
Directors of the Alabama Bicentennial Commission are now accepting resumes for the position of executive director.
The vice chairman of the commission, state Tourism Director Lee Sentell, said Saturday the celebration will culminate in 2019. That's the 200th anniversary of Alabama's establishment as a state in 1819.
Sentell says the commission is looking for someone with experience in non-profit organizations and event marketing. Directors also hope to find someone with in-depth knowledge of Alabama history. The job begins Jan. 1.
The salary for the position isn't yet set.
Legislators established the Bicentennial Commission earlier this year.
Alabama Bicentennial Commission bill