Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon June 7, 2004
State Republicans Remember Reagan
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Alabama Republicans are remembering President Ronald Reagan after his death Saturday. Governor Riley said in a written statement that Reagan will stand as one of the greatest Presidents in American history. Riley has ordered all flags on state office buildings lowered to half-staff in Reagan's honor. The national mourning period will last for 30 days. Meanwhile...other state Republican leaders say Reagan was responsible for many Democrats shifting to the G-O-P more than 20 years ago. But Alabama Republican Party Chairman Marty Connors and U.S. Senator Richard Shelby say Reagan will be most remembered for winning the Cold War. They say his Star Wars defense proposals actually gave the north Alabama space industry a long-lasting economic boost.