Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Mon June 7, 2004
State Republicans Remember Reagan
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Alabama Republicans are remembering President Ronald Reagan after his death Saturday. Governor Riley said in a written statement that Reagan will stand as one of the greatest Presidents in American history. Riley has ordered all flags on state office buildings lowered to half-staff in Reagan's honor. The national mourning period will last for 30 days. Meanwhile...other state Republican leaders say Reagan was responsible for many Democrats shifting to the G-O-P more than 20 years ago. But Alabama Republican Party Chairman Marty Connors and U.S. Senator Richard Shelby say Reagan will be most remembered for winning the Cold War. They say his Star Wars defense proposals actually gave the north Alabama space industry a long-lasting economic boost.