Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Politics & Government
Sun November 24, 2013
State to provide Collards to the needy for Thanksgiving
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — The state Department of Agriculture and Industries is donating nearly 800 pounds of fresh collards to help feed the needy. A department spokeswoman says the collards were grown in the department's community garden, and the department wants to share them for Thanksgiving. The collards will be presented to the Society of St. Andrew on Monday in Montgomery. The society collects fresh food to help the needy through food banks, kitchens and other agencies. Officials say society will distribute the collards to agencies that will prepare and serve them. The presentation is scheduled for 1 p.m. Monday at the State Farmers Market.