Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Politics & Government
Thu June 20, 2013
State Officials Approve New Hospital in Florence
State officials have voted to allow a nearly 300-bed hospital to be built in northern Alabama.
The TimesDaily of Florence (http://bit.ly/14KN7fM) reports the Certificate of Need board voted unanimously Wednesday to allow RegionalCare Hospital Partners to build a 280-bed facility in Florence.
The facility is set to replace the Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital. Representatives from the Helen Keller Hospital in Sheffield spoke out against RegionalCare's plan to build the new 280-bed facility, saying a hospital of that size could put Helen Keller out of business.
Helen Keller Hospital is about five miles away from Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital in Florence.
The board has voted to delay making a decision on a proposed RegionalCare cancer facility for 45 days.
Information from: TimesDaily, http://www.timesdaily.com/