Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Opelika Sludge Spill
Mon February 11, 2013
State Investigates Sludge Spill in Opelika
State environmental officials are investigating the recent release of industrial sludge into two Opelika waterways.
Alabama Department of Environmental Management spokesman Scott Hughes says the agency received a call Friday from the city of Opelika regarding some material that had been found in the Pepperell Branch and Saugahatchee Creek.
Hughes tells the Opelika-Auburn News (http://bit.ly/V9RInR) that the release likely started sometime Thursday afternoon.
He said the agency has been at the scene since Friday, conducting an investigation of how the release occurred and identifying any environmental impact in the downstream waterways.
He said the release had been stopped and water samples have been collected for testing.
Information from: Opelika-Auburn News, http://www.oanow.com/
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.