Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Opelika Sludge Spill
Mon February 11, 2013
State Investigates Sludge Spill in Opelika
State environmental officials are investigating the recent release of industrial sludge into two Opelika waterways.
Alabama Department of Environmental Management spokesman Scott Hughes says the agency received a call Friday from the city of Opelika regarding some material that had been found in the Pepperell Branch and Saugahatchee Creek.
Hughes tells the Opelika-Auburn News (http://bit.ly/V9RInR) that the release likely started sometime Thursday afternoon.
He said the agency has been at the scene since Friday, conducting an investigation of how the release occurred and identifying any environmental impact in the downstream waterways.
He said the release had been stopped and water samples have been collected for testing.
Information from: Opelika-Auburn News, http://www.oanow.com/
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.