Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed May 12, 2004
State Has Changed License Policy
By Alabama Pubilc Radio
Montgomery, AL – Hundreds of legal residents now will be able to use their passport to obtain a drivers license. The state Department of Public Safety has revised its rules to allow foreign passports as a valid form of identification. The change will take effect Monday. The state revised its rules after a lawsuit argued the licensing process wrongly excludes hundreds of people who live legally in the state. The eight immigrants who filed the suit said the state required certain federal documents to get a license. But the suit said many immigrants with a valid passport do not have or need the extra documentation to live in the state.