Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed February 24, 2010
State Bar Issues Second Disbarment to Mobile Co. Judge
By Associated Press
Mobile, AL – The Alabama Bar Association has issued a second disbarment order for former Mobile County Circuit Judge Herman Thomas.
The state bar disbarred Thomas again on Tuesday for the second time in two days, this time after he admitted that he practiced law last year while his license was suspended.
Thomas' law license was suspended in 2009 after he was indicted on charges including sex abuse, sodomy and extortion. He was acquitted in October.
On Monday, the State Bar disciplinary panel issued a disbarment after hearing evidence that Thomas paddled jail inmates and improperly talked with defendants without their lawyers or prosecutors present. The disbarments will run concurrently, and Thomas can seek reinstatement in five years.
His attorney says he plans an appeal to the state Supreme Court.