Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Fri May 17, 2013
Sponsor Says Still Work To Do On Campaign Finance Bill
A key House Republican says lawmakers have more work to do before settling on final changes to Alabama campaign finance laws.
But Rep. Mike Ball of Madison says he doesn't want to give in on House GOP proposals concerning political contributions by corporations and utilities, including the influential Alabama Power Co.
Ball is sponsor of the House version of the finance law changes. The Senate version dealt mostly with how PACs can move money around. But the House went further to remove contribution limits on corporations and restrictions on utilities giving directly to candidates.
The Senate will have to decide whether to accept that version or force a compromise committee to settle discrepancies. Monday is the session's final day.