Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Special Grand Jury
Thu August 22, 2013
Special Grand Jury Convened In Lee County
A special grand jury has been convened in Lee County, but prosecutors aren't saying what it is about.
Court records show Circuit Judge Jacob Walker III signed an order July 29 empaneling the grand jury at the request of the state government. Members of the grand jury were selected from potential jurors who reported for jury duty Monday, according to the records.
A spokeswoman for state Attorney General Luther Strange declined comment. Lee County District Attorney Robert Treese did the same.
The dean of the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, John Carroll, said special grand juries are usually used for complex cases that will require the presentation of evidence over a long period of time.