Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Special Grand Jury
Thu August 22, 2013
Special Grand Jury Convened In Lee County
A special grand jury has been convened in Lee County, but prosecutors aren't saying what it is about.
Court records show Circuit Judge Jacob Walker III signed an order July 29 empaneling the grand jury at the request of the state government. Members of the grand jury were selected from potential jurors who reported for jury duty Monday, according to the records.
A spokeswoman for state Attorney General Luther Strange declined comment. Lee County District Attorney Robert Treese did the same.
The dean of the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, John Carroll, said special grand juries are usually used for complex cases that will require the presentation of evidence over a long period of time.