Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Wed November 17, 2004
South Alabama Plant Will Close
By Alabama Public Radio
Foley, AL – A plant in Foley will eliminate about 170 jobs over the next few months. A spokesperson for Delphi Corporation says the Delphi Mechatronic Systems plant could close as early as February. The plant produces circuit boards for automotive and domestic appliances. The spokesperson says reduced sales, global competition and discontinued products all contributed to the closing. Many of the jobs now performed at the plant will move to Asia and Mexico. The director of the Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance says the closing will be a significant economic loss to the area.