Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
UA Sororities Investigation
Fri September 13, 2013
Sororities Probing Intake Process at UA
Representatives of three sororities say they're investigating their recruitment process at the University of Alabama after some groups were accused of rejecting two potential members because they're black.
WTVM-TV reported Thursday that Pi Beta Phi sorority, Chi Omega and Alpha Gamma Delta released statements saying their organizations are investigating after the UA student newspaper, The Crimson White, reported members of two sororities were looking to vote on African-American candidates but were blocked from doing so by alumni members.
The station reports Dean of students, Tim Hebson, says all of the university's organization should make sure their actions and decisions support inclusion.
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told WBRC-TV the University of Alabama Greek System was wrong to reject members based on skin color, and alumni members should change their attitudes.