Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Science & Health
Fri January 31, 2014
Some Schools Still Closed Friday
Thousands of Alabama school kids are getting another day off from class because of the winter storm.
School systems throughout central Alabama are taking Friday off because of lingering icy spots on roads. That includes all schools around Birmingham, the state's most populous area.
Much of the snow and ice melted Thursday as temperatures rose above freezing. But many county roads and side streets still have slick spots, and freezing temperatures overnight made them worse.
Life is getting back to normal elsewhere. Many schools and businesses are reopening in south Alabama, although some will remain closed or open late one more day because of travel problems.
Auburn University is reopening, and so is Alabama State University in Montgomery.
High temperatures are supposed to be in the 50s statewide.