Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Business & Education
Mon February 25, 2013
Small Ala College Gets $5M Donation, Largest Ever
A small college in Selma says it has received its largest financial donation ever.
Concordia College says it has received a commitment of $5 million from the Marion I. Breen Charitable Foundation, which is based in St. Louis.
School officials say the money will go to new academic programs, capital projects, scholarships and other campus priorities.
The fund making the donation is named for Marion Breen, who was known as a patron of the arts and education, plus religious and social causes.
Concordia is the nation's only historically black Lutheran college.
The president of Concordia, the Rev. Tilahun Mendedo, says the donation will serve as the lead gift in a new fundraising campaign.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.