Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Business & Education
Mon February 25, 2013
Small Ala College Gets $5M Donation, Largest Ever
A small college in Selma says it has received its largest financial donation ever.
Concordia College says it has received a commitment of $5 million from the Marion I. Breen Charitable Foundation, which is based in St. Louis.
School officials say the money will go to new academic programs, capital projects, scholarships and other campus priorities.
The fund making the donation is named for Marion Breen, who was known as a patron of the arts and education, plus religious and social causes.
Concordia is the nation's only historically black Lutheran college.
The president of Concordia, the Rev. Tilahun Mendedo, says the donation will serve as the lead gift in a new fundraising campaign.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.