Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Business & Education
Mon February 25, 2013
Small Ala College Gets $5M Donation, Largest Ever
A small college in Selma says it has received its largest financial donation ever.
Concordia College says it has received a commitment of $5 million from the Marion I. Breen Charitable Foundation, which is based in St. Louis.
School officials say the money will go to new academic programs, capital projects, scholarships and other campus priorities.
The fund making the donation is named for Marion Breen, who was known as a patron of the arts and education, plus religious and social causes.
Concordia is the nation's only historically black Lutheran college.
The president of Concordia, the Rev. Tilahun Mendedo, says the donation will serve as the lead gift in a new fundraising campaign.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.