Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu August 8, 2013
Simcha in Selma! A Bar Mitzvah To Help A Selma Synagogue
Being bar mitzvahed is a rite of passage every young Jewish man gets to go through at the age of 13. A mitzvah is a good deed and performing one is paramount to the process. When Elijah Schulman thought about what he would do for his bar mitzvah project he didn’t look to his hometown of Bethesda, Maryland. Rather Schulman looked to help out a Selma synagogue that had some old family ties.
Alabama Public Radio's Ryan Vasquez talked to Schulman about how he came to help the Mishkan Israel synagogue as part of his bar mitzvah project.