Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue July 20, 2004
Siegelman Gifts Exceed $25K
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham,AL – Federal prosecutors say former Governor Don Siegelman took more than 25-thousand dollars worth of vehicles, guns and coffee mugs from business owners who needed help from the state while he was in office. Prosecutors claim Siegelman's former top aide, Paul Hamrick, also took thousands of dollars to use for a down payment for a B-M-W and to purchase stocks. The claims are part of a document the government filed yesterday to let defense attorneys know about evidence they intend to use against Siegelman in federal court. Siegelman, Hamrick and Tuscaloosa Doctor Phillip Bobo have pleaded innocent to trying to rig bids on a state Medicaid contract involving care for poor, pregnant women.