Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon January 19, 2004
Ship Offers Health Care to the Poor
By Alabama Public Radio
Mobile, AL – The Caribbean Mercy has docked in Mobile. The ship's international and inter-denominational crew brings medical attention to the world's poor. It's one of three hospital ships operated by Mercy Ships International. The crew is all volunteer and members donate their time. They usually perform eye surgeries on board the ship. Doctors say even such routine procedures as cataract removal are extremely critical in poor countries because cataracts are a major medical problem in those places. Crew members say it's common for hundreds of people to line up for medical care when one of the ships enters a foreign port.