Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Politics & Government
Wed October 24, 2012
Sharpton to Protest Closing of Cooper Green Mercy
Opponents of a decision to close the in-patient care unit at Cooper Green Mercy Hospital in Jefferson County hope a visit by the Rev. Al Sharpton will bring national attention to the issue.
Sharpton's visit to Birmingham on Friday will include attendance at a forum and rally against the hospital's closure.
The county commission voted last month to close the inpatient unit and emergency room at the county owned hospital.
Instead, the county wants to establish a new model featuring an urgent care facility and two clinics focused on preventive care.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.