Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Wed October 24, 2012
Sharpton to Protest Closing of Cooper Green Mercy
Opponents of a decision to close the in-patient care unit at Cooper Green Mercy Hospital in Jefferson County hope a visit by the Rev. Al Sharpton will bring national attention to the issue.
Sharpton's visit to Birmingham on Friday will include attendance at a forum and rally against the hospital's closure.
The county commission voted last month to close the inpatient unit and emergency room at the county owned hospital.
Instead, the county wants to establish a new model featuring an urgent care facility and two clinics focused on preventive care.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.