Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Politics & Government
Wed October 24, 2012
Sharpton to Protest Closing of Cooper Green Mercy
Opponents of a decision to close the in-patient care unit at Cooper Green Mercy Hospital in Jefferson County hope a visit by the Rev. Al Sharpton will bring national attention to the issue.
Sharpton's visit to Birmingham on Friday will include attendance at a forum and rally against the hospital's closure.
The county commission voted last month to close the inpatient unit and emergency room at the county owned hospital.
Instead, the county wants to establish a new model featuring an urgent care facility and two clinics focused on preventive care.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.