Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
APR News Reports
Thu May 13, 2004
Shape Note Singing in Alabama
By Alabama Public Radio
Tuscaloosa, AL – Shape Note singing has a long and honorable tradition in Alabama. The musical form dates from the 19th century and has taken divergent paths to its current incarnation today. Alabama Public Radio's Lance Kinney brings us some of Shape Note singing's history in the state.
OUTRO: This program, which originally aired in September 2003, was written by Kathie Farnell and produced by Alabama Public Radio. It was supported by grants from the Alabama State Council on the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts.