Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
APR News Reports
Thu May 13, 2004
Shape Note Singing in Alabama
By Alabama Public Radio
Tuscaloosa, AL – Shape Note singing has a long and honorable tradition in Alabama. The musical form dates from the 19th century and has taken divergent paths to its current incarnation today. Alabama Public Radio's Lance Kinney brings us some of Shape Note singing's history in the state.
OUTRO: This program, which originally aired in September 2003, was written by Kathie Farnell and produced by Alabama Public Radio. It was supported by grants from the Alabama State Council on the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts.