Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Fri September 12, 2003
Shape Note Singing in Alabama
By Alabama Public Radio
Tuscaloosa, AL – Shape Note singing has a long tradition in Alabama. The musical form dates from the 19th century and has taken divergent paths to its current incarnation. Alabama Public Radio's Lance Kinney brings us some of Shape Note singing's history in the state.
This feature report was written by Kathie Farnell and produced by Alabama Public Radio. It was supported by grants from the Alabama State Council on the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts.