Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Thu May 31, 2012
Severe Storms Possible In Alabama
Birmingham, AL – Forecasters say that severe storms are possible in Alabama ahead of an approaching cold front.
The National Weather Service says that any storm that develops will pose a threat of damaging straight-line winds and large hail.
Storms could form in Alabama as early as Thursday afternoon, and the threat of severe weather will continue overnight and into Friday.
A hazardous weather outlook for northern Alabama warns of widespread thunderstorm activity in the region from Thursday evening through early Friday morning. Winds of up to 70 mph will be possible with those storms, and some flash flooding is also possible.
Forecasters say thunderstorm development will depend on day-time heating and potential surface instability.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)