Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Tue January 6, 2004
Services Today for Slain Officers
By Alabama Public Radio
Hamilton, AL – Funeral services will be held today for two Athens police officers killed in what is thought to have been an ambush shooting last Friday.
29-year-old Farron Barksdale is in the Limestone County jail facing six counts of capital murder after being accused of killing police Sergeant Larry Russell and Officer Tony Mims. Two of the charges are for killing the officers, another two charges are for killing more than one person at a time and the final two charges are for shooting into an occupied vehicle.
Services will be held today. The service for Sergeant Russell is scheduled for 11 this morning at Friendship United Methodist Church. A 2:30 service is scheduled for Officer Mims at Lindsay Baptist Church.
Both officers will be buried at Roselawn Cemetery in Athens.