Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Alabama Governor Robert Bentley releases statement on gay marriage ruling
Arts & Life
Tue November 13, 2012
Services Set for Herbert Carter, Tuskegee Airman
Funeral services are being planned at Tuskegee University for retired Lt. Col. Herbert E. Carter, one of the original Tuskegee Airmen.
Carter was among the first troops to report to Tuskegee during World War II as the Pentagon began training the nation's first black military pilots.
The school says a funeral will be held Thursday afternoon at the campus chapel for Carter, who died Nov. 8 at the age of 95.
Carter served in the Air Force and its Army predecessor for 25 years before retiring. He also taught at Tuskegee.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.