Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Tue November 13, 2012
Services Set for Herbert Carter, Tuskegee Airman
Funeral services are being planned at Tuskegee University for retired Lt. Col. Herbert E. Carter, one of the original Tuskegee Airmen.
Carter was among the first troops to report to Tuskegee during World War II as the Pentagon began training the nation's first black military pilots.
The school says a funeral will be held Thursday afternoon at the campus chapel for Carter, who died Nov. 8 at the age of 95.
Carter served in the Air Force and its Army predecessor for 25 years before retiring. He also taught at Tuskegee.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.