Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri March 26, 2004
Senator Proposes New Supreme Court Election Districts
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – State Senator Myron Penn is planning to propose legislation that would make eight members of the Alabama Supreme Court campaign for office in districts rather than statewide. Penn is a Democrat and says his legislation would make sure all areas of the state are represented on the court. He says the proposal also would give the Supreme Court racial diversity. All of the Supreme Court's justices are white, and most of them come from urban areas. Penn proposes using the eight State Board of Education districts for the Supreme Court races. The chief justice would still run a statewide campaign.